After my last post regarding blogging, I had a curious friend ask just what our supper table looks like on an average night. Hee, hee, ha, ha...I know you all are just dying to know how our family of 6 (4 boys and 2 girls) manage through a meal. Well, to soothe your curiosity I will try to paint you the most real picture that I can.
First, we have to back up to dinner preparation, because that sets the tone for the rest of the mealtime. Depending on the meal I'm preparing and how long I've waited to start cooking (if you know me at all, I don't mind cooking, but I settle for healthy, fairly fast and easy meals) I could be in a state of hurry or calm. Usually I get the occasional on-looker gawking at the process on the stove. "Really, do we have to have that again?" or "Mom, why do you always make the stuff we don't like (insert puking noises here)" to which I respond..."seems to me like the way it goes around here is if you don't like what we're having you can skip supper tonight and sit in your room." They almost always walk away more quiet than how they entered. Don't forget little one at my feet now, pulling and clawing her way up my leg as I try to keep her from the hot oven or the boiling sauce on the stove. That escalates to grunting because she wants to play NOW! So sorry hunny, you are really cute but mommy has to get supper on the table in 10 minutes.
In our house, the boys have jobs to do at supper time and the first one being setting the table. We have chore charts that they follow in which they are assigned particular jobs and they inevitably fight over who has to set the table. Really? Table is finally set and I'm about to put the food on it. "Boys, come wash your hands and sit down...supper is ready." A few minutes later, "boys, really, supper is on the table and it is time to eat. Wash your hands." A few more minutes later, and I'm yelling..."I'm going to sit down to eat and if you want to eat, you must sit down now!" (so much for the hand washing) WHEW! We are all sitting, finally. You would think after 11 years and me saying the same thing over and over, they would catch on. A little disclaimer here, there has been a night or two in the past where a kid missed out on supper because we didn't tell them again to come (what sly parents we are-HA!)
While eating, we try to get the boys to have a nice discussion telling us about their day-the high lights and low lights. This never usually goes without someone interrupting the other and again mom and dad use the moment as a teachable one and talk about how rude it is to interrupt while another is speaking. In between the teachable moments, we get a few comments about the food, wondering how much of it has to be consumed. "Well dearest of dearies, it is the same every night, you must eat what you have put on your plate." Being in the thick of supper I begin wondering when it will be done. After a few more discussions and some laughter, we wrap things up. Everyone disperses to finish the suppertime chores and we go onto the next thing.....SHOWERS.....and that is another story.
I love my family and the energy it contains. This is the realness of my life and I wouldn't change it for anything. OK, maybe not anything because I know that this parenting thing is a process and I would hope that the kids would mature and grow. As Adam says, "yes, and by that time they will be out of the house!"
No comments:
Post a Comment