Today was quite the busy day...we toured both the Cloisonne Factory and the Great Wall. When we walked up to the base of the Wall, Adam said, "well, should we climb to the top?" Not being able to turn down a challenge I said, "absolutely!" It took us about an hour, but even with sore legs we did reach the top (as far as you could see from the base). While climbing up, I mentally tried to transport myself back in time when they used the wall for protection. I can see how the wall made it difficult for invaders to penetrate. I also took note of all the people surrounding us. Many Chinese people, but there were also a few Americans, Europeans, and others. Through this sea of faces, I kept thinking about each of these people and the story behind their lives. This really intrigued me being the people person that I am.
Also on the Wall, there is a section that held a chain loaded with pad locks. Each of these locks represented "forever love". Well, I just thought this was the coolest thing! So, what is a person to do but buy a padlock and attach it to the chain...our padlock was inscribed The Patrick Family, June 4, 2010. Clearly this was symbolic-I wanted to leave a little piece of ourselves in China on the Wall We can tell Melia someday that as a family, we honor her country and want to maintain a part of her culture in our lives.
Tonight we had an awesome supper...McDonald's!!!!! ....and they do deliver..... (we had to do that at least once for the laugh of delivery to our hotel). The man came to our hotel on a scooter, helmet and all wearing what looked like a jet pack on his back. And, it only cost us $7.
Thanks to all who have been praying. We can feel the prayers, and my neck thanks you tremendously! I have had little to no pain, YES!
Also on the Wall, there is a section that held a chain loaded with pad locks. Each of these locks represented "forever love". Well, I just thought this was the coolest thing! So, what is a person to do but buy a padlock and attach it to the chain...our padlock was inscribed The Patrick Family, June 4, 2010. Clearly this was symbolic-I wanted to leave a little piece of ourselves in China on the Wall We can tell Melia someday that as a family, we honor her country and want to maintain a part of her culture in our lives.
Tonight we had an awesome supper...McDonald's!!!!! ....and they do deliver..... (we had to do that at least once for the laugh of delivery to our hotel). The man came to our hotel on a scooter, helmet and all wearing what looked like a jet pack on his back. And, it only cost us $7.
Thanks to all who have been praying. We can feel the prayers, and my neck thanks you tremendously! I have had little to no pain, YES!
What a special thing to do with the lock. How long do they actually keep them there? Ask your guide to tell you the story about how the wall was compromised. Lydia's surname was Chen. We occasionally call her Lady Chen after the story. :)
ReplyDeleteKelly
Praying, praying, praying for you guys, the boys and Miss Melia. The day is quickly approaching for the ultimate reunion to take place. I can't wait to hear all about it!
ReplyDeleteI am assuming you guys are able to connect and post so I don't have be watching for your e-mails?
ReplyDeletepraying for you and sooo excited!!! love you.
ReplyDelete